February 5, 2020
The Cardiff Devil have been blessed with some fantastic players in the last decade (and Franny signed most of them!) but with only 5 spots open, the guys who is going to make the Cut? we start with the guys who look after the House, the Goaltenders and the D men, who will Franny, Gaz and John choose?
also in this episode!
- JD spills the beans about Hothams Hatred
- Gaz can't remember the guy from Coventry!
- and we even sneak some current season chatter in there!
Who are your Goalie and D men of the decade? tell us on Twitter via @Btbfranny
December 23, 2019
It's been a whole year of podcasts from Gaz, John and Franny, a year full of laughs and stories and memories.
so the guys got together to just have a chat about the past year, and some topics that they wouldn't ordinarily get to talk about. Some of the things to look forward to in this episode:
- John Donovan Bingo is completed in record time
- We discuss who was the best draftee, Hand or Kirk?
- Franny's Face Time addiction.
- Where did the idea come from for Wally night?
- and what is the structure of a hockey player at Christmas time?
This and a whole lot more. Thank you so much for your support of the podcast over the past 12 months, here's to many more episodes to come.
October 24, 2019
With John Donovan unfortunately able to Join the episode this week, a search was on for a replacement, who better to step in than one of the Best Cyclists in the world and HUGE (Credit: Aled Lloyd) Cardiff Devils Fan Luke Rowe!
Luke talks about how he has found the Devils and when his first game was, his fondest memories of the Big Blue Tent, some of his favorite players, and just some damn fine general hockey chat.
In this Episode!
- Luke Rowe owes the Devils money - Find out why!
- Luke Talks up why the Big Blue Tent is one of his most favorite ever sporting venue!
- We uncover Streatham Redskins and Fife Flyers legend Vincent Lukac!
- And we take a tour around Luke Rowe's hockey man cave.
- And listeners it's over to you, just who's stick does Luke have? We need to find the owner of this mystery piece of hockey memorabilia.
So what are you waiting for? Get listening to one of the best sportsman in the world, talk about one of the best sports in the world.
P.S the title of this episode was all Neil Francis idea!
October 12, 2019
In this episode we breakdown the run down of the inaugural Superleague title race that the Devils would eventually win (spoiler!)
along the way of course, there are some diversions! mainly silly stories, so in this episode you can expect
- WNIR Stock check
- The Japanese hockey sensation 'Cannonball'
- Paul Heavey vs a Bin
-Bob Phillips serial blinder....
and many many more. Give us a listen!
September 21, 2019
British Ice Hockey went through it's biggest ever change in the summer of 1996, 8 clubs broke away from the British Ice Hockey Association to form the Superleague, a new league that had an unlimited cap on Imports and Expenditure.
It heralded the highest level of hockey Britain had ever seen, and the Cardiff Devils and the Sheffield Steelers went head to head to try and win it.
In Part 1:
- Franny talks about his adventure to Graz
- We give the background on the 8 clubs who broke away
- Scott Dobben takes us off his Christmas Card list
- and we find out who scored the second ever Superleague goal.
August 25, 2019
We roll into part 2 of the pre season special and we are looking at things a bit closer to home..... Relive the madness that was Andrew Conboy's debut..... as Gaz, John and Franny take you back through some of the most memorable Pre season incidents.
In this Episode:
- What happens when a game ends with a Devils player headbutting an opponent and that's not even the most weird thing to happen?
- What film does John deem appropriate to show a bunch of hockey players from Denmark on a bus trip from Heathrow?
- Deeds, Danton and the birth of Twitter in the EIHL.
- Coventry pre season Memories
- and what on earth are Sneaky Saturdays?
and a whole lot more! Download and Subscribe now!
August 17, 2019
It's pre season in British Ice Hockey, a time for teams to forge new game plans, invite new players into the fold, and for those players to ease gently into life in their new surroundings, of course, it doesnt always work out like this.....
In This Episode, Gaz, John and Franny look back at some of the Devils pre season tours away from British Soil, breaking down some of the funniest and memorable pre season moments and the real story behind what went on in Devils locker rooms in those early season periods, in this episode:
- The Return of One Punch!
- What really happened at meet the players evening in 2006
- The debut of Disco Stu in Devils colours
- And the corruption of Steve - O.
All this and so much more in Behind the Bench with Neil Francis!
August 1, 2019
Ask any Cardiff Devils fan who they want to beat more than any other at the beginning of a season and who will they say? the majority will likely say the Sheffield Steelers.
It's a rivalry that has endured for 25 years, but where did it start? where did Sheffield come from to make such a mark on Cardiff Devils history? we have the answers:
On this episode:
- Steelers beginnings
- Who were the Stars that put the Steelers on the map?
- We find a fact about the 90's ice hockey scene that John didn't know....
- and of course, Dave Simms and his influence on the early days and beyond of the Sheffield Steelers and British Ice hockey.
July 16, 2019
So we roll on to the Big Blue Tent and Viola Arena era of Captains, The era were Captains really did go above and beyond in a Devils Jersey.
In this episode you will have:
- The story behind Brad Voth losing the Captaincy
- Mac Faulkner the miracle worker
- The most Successful captain in Jake Morisette
- And just who really cheered up Gerad Adams!
All this and whole lot more on Behind the Bench! with Neil Francis.
June 25, 2019
To be as Successful as the Cardiff Devils have been over the years, and in order to overcome the adversity the club has gone through in it's 30 year history, it takes a special kind of player to have the respect of their peers to be the leader of the locker room, to be the Captain.
In part 1 we go from 1986 to 2004 listing all of the captains during this time, from Farmer to Cooper to Ware and all in between we breakdown what made them the Captains they were, and how they forged their own legacies.
Also in this episode:
- How Close was Franny to Leaving the Devils in the mid 90's?
- Is Stephen Cooper jinxed when wearing the C?
- and just how does Ivan Matulik say goodbye in Welsh?
All this and a whole lot more in Behind the Bench! With Neil Francis.